Monday, November 30, 2009

3-D McQueen

You may recognize this little guy from the Disney movie, Cars:

A few months ago, my dear friend Brenda asked me to make her nephew's 3rd birthday cake. And because he is just about the most adorable little guy on the planet, I had no choice! Javi's favorite movie is Cars, so naturally Bren requested a cake featuring his favorite character, Lightning McQueen (or, as Javi calls him, "Lining A Queen"). I'd never made a 3-D car cake before, so while I knew it would be a challenge, I also knew it was going to be lots of fun! The experience did not disappoint.

I worked so intensely on Lightning, that I forgot to take any pictures of the process. However, my friend Stacie has a great tutorial on her website that you should check out:

This is my finished Lightning McQueen, sans wheels:

Instead of using an edible image for the "Rust-eez" logo, I decided to customize it for Javi by cutting out individual fondant letters.

I had originally planned for Lightning to sit on a fondant street surrounded by grass and trees, but at the last minute I changed my mind. I decided that Javi would probably dig a checkered racing flag more. After all, what says "race" more than a checkered flag?

In the end, I was really glad I chose the flag backdrop. I think it looks pretty cool!

The car was made from a sturdy almond sponge cake, while the base was dark chocolate cake filled with white chocolate raspberry truffle.


Hannah said...

That is fantastic!!
Did you just do the chequered bit with cutting out some black fondant squares and 'sticking' them to the white back drop ?

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! How did you get the black fondant squares to stick to the white icing? Would like to do this for a cake I'm making for the weekend x